I have to be honest with you... I've never really believed in the mantra "hard work always pays off". I've seen many situations where that simply isn't the case. I believe that hard work can certainly build character; however, the belief that 'hard work' will guarantee one's desired outcome has never really rang true for me. Thankfully, right now in Composition Seminar this mantra has never sang louder!
Evident by the bags under people's eyes and coffee in their hands, our class has no doubt invested a great deal of time and effort in this composition project. When we discussed in class about possibly pushing the deadline for this assignment, Dr. Ross advised that the rush up to a concert is something he has seen many times before. In most cases, the concerts have gone off with resounding success. From where I was sitting, I was extremely nervous that I would not fall under the umbrella of "most cases" and my pieces (both the one I had written/was playing and the one I was playing for Andrew) would be a large and booming flop. Although there was certainly some sections that I would like to re-record, overall I was surprisingly pleased with how the pieces came together! Now that is something I never thought I would say this time last week!
I thought everyone did a great job with their pieces. I mean this with respect to both composition and performance. I especially liked hearing how people's third movements developed since we did not get a lot of time to explore the last movement in class. I thought the concert was a great experience and was such a great way to spend lunchtime on Thursday!
Now... to do some score editing so someone else would be able to play my piece!
No comments:
Post a Comment