Wednesday, 3 October 2012

http://thesaurus.com/browse/go+off+tangent

I had someone ask me a couple days ago who my favourite composer is. I honestly didn't know how to answer the question. I mean... To me, Bach set up fundamental compositional techniques for the C.P.P. that are now taught in hundreds (if not thousands) of entry level music theory classes... but I wouldn't call Bach my favourite composer. And to me, Beethoven was a crucial figure in the transition from classical to romantic... but again, not my favourite composer. I love Brahms' piano works, but to be my favourite? I don't think so... And I love newer music. And what about Ives? Stravinsky? Pärt? Barber? I just don't know! I feel as though I could have answered this question with great ease before entering the School of Music, but my time here has significantly changed this answer. By the looks of things, I no longer even have an answer at all!

So I did what anyone would do when they don't know an answer to a question: Googled it. Of course, I can't google, "Who is Vanessa's favourite composer?" but I can see what other people have to say about the subject. Surprisingly (I thought people would be forcing their opinions down my throat), I found that many other people struggled with an answer as well.

I stumbled upon Eric Whitacre's (see, another one I really like...) blog and I thought he had an interesting post.

http://ericwhitacre.com/blog/music-composition-for-dummies

While some people would take the compliment and run, he basically said, "let's get real here b'ys..." which I thought was great. Maybe deep down he really thinks he should be on the list, who knows, but I liked the way he approached the subject. His list of favourite composers would have a hundred names on it... and if that's good enough for Whitacre, that's good enough for me!

The reason why I thought this was somewhat relevant for my composition blog (now mind you, follow the title link) is because often, I find myself looking at other composer's works as a kind of precedence or possible building block for my own ideas. I'm sure many people would find flaw in this and say we should try and 'create our own wheel' but sometimes, you just need a little inspiration. But who should you be inspired by? What I have found in the past is that I'm often inspired not by my favourite composer, but rather by a composer who I happen to be listening to a lot of lately. I think this is why when I finally responded to "Who is your favourite composer?" my answer was not absolute, but rather a short list of composers who a was "on a bit of a kick."

No comments:

Post a Comment